Comments from the Peanut Gallery

Taking one day at a time...

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • DO SOMETHING GOOD
  • Sunday, October 23, 2005

    Chicken Soup For My Belly...

    Yesterday, my Mom came over to help me out. Boy, was it a good day! She brought over groceries, dusted my wood furniture with what little Pledge I had left, made chicken soup with Blondie, fixed up my plants, and entertained Baby Jack, too. It was a full, lovely day. She even made me one of my favorite cakes...pumpkin chocolate chip. It was delicious and I'm not sure how long it will actually last. I've already eaten three pieces of it. I was able to get a lot done, too. I swept up all the dog hair on the main floor. It was enough to create a fur coat for another dog or a toupee for a bald man. I also washed my floors and cleaned my bathroom, tub and all. It felt good to be productive. I didn't wear myself out, either. Blondie took care of the basement; Mom did the dusting; and my house is now pretty again. Whew! Once Mom left, Baby Jack was asleep ten minutes later and I was able to lie down for a while. I didn't sleep, but at least I rested my body for about an hour.

    When Mom, Jack, and I were playing on the floor, Jack decided to do some new tricks. He showed us that he can take blocks out of a box. He even put one back in once. And he likes when you roll a ball to him. If you roll it past him, he crawls furiously to get to it. He's able to grab it and put it in his mouth, as well. He showed her his new top left front tooth. It is gigantic, but maybe that's just because he's got such a tiny mouth! And the one next to it will be poking through any time now. No bottom teeth yet, like the books say he's supposed to get first, but we think those will happen soon, too. He just marches to the beat of his own drum. I've said before, there are many ways in which he's not a textbook baby. And my friend, Erin, told me a long time ago that all those books are merely just resources. They don't accurately map out every single baby's development patterns. She's so right about that.

    Jack took a few tumbles while Mom was here, but nothing out of the ordinary for him. No cuts or bruises, just losses of balance. When he was a few months old, I was scared that I'd have to wrap him in bubble wrap because I was afraid of him ever hurting himself. Now, I see him fall down and I don't freak out because I don't want him to freak out. Every time he falls, he looks at us for our reactions. It's as if he's saying, "Okay. What do I do now?" I don't want him to be afraid to fall down. That's how he'll learn how to prevent himself from falling, trial and error. Last night, he took a tumble and managed to put his hand out before his head hit the ground. I clapped and told him that he did a great job. It didn't even faze him. He didn't even realize that he'd actually prevented himself from bonking his head; he just knew I was happy that he caught himself first. Or maybe he just knew I was happy, but he wasn't sure what I was happy about. He didn't cry. That's what matters.

    I guess with little boys, we expect the bumps and bruises and the insane death wish they have. You know the death wish I'm talking about...the one that makes him think he can crawl off the bed and onto the floor without hurting himself...the one that makes the floor the only safe place for him at this point. And even then, the floor is now his means of transportation. He goes everywhere and I mean everywhere. He has no fear. He pulls himself up on everything he sees...chairs, tables, anything with handles. Pretty soon, though, we're going to have to get rid of our vertical blinds in the living and dining rooms and replace them with regular horizontal blinds. The vertical blinds we have now have those loopy attachment thingy-s that he could accidentally choke on, so we're already getting out the measuring tape to see what sizes we need. They'll probably have to be custom-made, but it's worth it. My boy is an active one and we need to make it as safe as possible for him. And now that we've covered all the electrical outlets with those circular plastic things that are pretty much impossible for us to get off, he's not interested in sticking his little fingers in the holes anymore. Go figure. Now if only I could get him to stop trying to use the drawer handles in the kitchen as a step ladder...

    Today, Hubby has to be at work by noon, but he gets out at 5 p.m. Blondie and Linus spent the night at her girlfriend's house in the suburbs and they're going to a birthday party later on today, so I won't see them pretty much all day. Mom will be coming over later, too. I don't really have anything pressing that needs to be done, except for entertaining Baby Jack and making sure he eats and naps. This is the stuff weekends should be made of. Since Jack needs my undivided attention when I'm home, I don't ever bring any work home during the week or even on the weekends, like I used to before I became a Mama. If I can't get it done at work, then I should be managing my time more efficiently while I'm there. That's how I look at it. I don't bring any work home, so I'm doing fine with that. When I'm home, I'm Mama, not Mrs. Eatmisery, the eighth-grade English teacher. And that's the way it's going to be.

    This post turned out to be longer than I thought it would be, but it was a full day yesterday and I'm feeling a little groovy. Yeah, I was up at 6:30 this morning, but I'm used to it. Maybe I'll nap later. Even if I don't, though, I still get relief once Hubby gets home later. And since Mom will be here later on today, I won't have to be alone with my thoughts. My Mom was right when she said that motherhood is a lonely job. I understand what she means now. Five years ago, I wouldn't have.

    Have yourself a great day. It's Sunday, so I'm going to enjoy it as much as I can. I have nothing to clean, just one load of laundry. Maybe I'll put on some music and dance around the house with Baby Jack later, after he gets up and eats. He loves music, especially that Charlie Brown song (that's probably because I'm drilling it into his head). I don't think he thinks his name is Charlie Brown when he hears that song, even though I keep telling him he has a Charlie Brown head. By the way, when he says, "Dat," I think he's saying "Jack." Is that not the coolest thing in the world?

    8 Comments:

    • At 10:39 AM, October 23, 2005, Blogger beans said…

      your baby genuis is talking already!

      figures.

      glad things are falling into place... just as we knew it all would.

       
    • At 12:25 PM, October 23, 2005, Blogger Erin said…

      I'm so glad you are having a great weekend! Baby (Almost-A-Big-Boy) Jack sounds like he is doing wonderful! We need some new pictures!!!

      Hey, save that dog hair. Maybe we can fashion a toupe for my Hubs now that the weather is getting cold! LOL!

      Have a great Sunday, mama!

       
    • At 4:59 PM, October 23, 2005, Blogger cubmommy said…

      Glad to hear you got a break and were able to relax a little.

      I hope the rest of your day was enjoyable!

       
    • At 6:04 PM, October 23, 2005, Blogger nu. said…

      aww... this post makes me miss my mum. isn't it great how they swoop in and just save the day?

       
    • At 8:15 PM, October 23, 2005, Blogger Dida said…

      Glad you're feeling better!

      It's a good thing you've realized now that you need to "boy-proof" your home. But he'll find other exciting ways to be a daredevil - guaranteed.

      Have fun watching him use his imagination!

       
    • At 10:38 PM, October 23, 2005, Blogger mr_g said…

      Just wait...by the time #2 comes along he'll become less "breakable"...THEY say that with each kid, the threshold of serious (for injury etc.) gets higher and higher. Being that I only have Pomeranians, not children, I can only defer to THEY.

       
    • At 11:18 AM, October 24, 2005, Blogger Lizard Queen said…

      Just had to say - with my first one, I had no problems, because she was a girl and lacked the deathwish. For whatever reason I thought that my second would be similar, but OH NO. Nope, boys are definitely different than girls. My daughter may be a tomboy, but my heart won't stop if I ever hear her say, "Hey mom look at this." However, if those words ever come out of my son's mouth, the defibrulator (sp?) better be close by. He's not quite 4 yet, and so far, I think he's not only trying to kill himself but me in the process!

      Good luck! :)

       
    • At 3:21 PM, October 24, 2005, Blogger Melissa said…

      Sounds like a wonderful day. Hope Sunday turns out just as great.

       

    Post a Comment

    << Home