Comments from the Peanut Gallery

Taking one day at a time...

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • DO SOMETHING GOOD
  • Monday, October 03, 2005

    Separation Anxiety And Other Milestones...

    Yesterday, Hubby and I took Jack over to my in-laws' house for a birthday party. My husband's siblings are a lively group and very loving on top of it. Everyone wanted to hold Baby Jack since it had been a while since they'd all seen him.

    Well, that's when I discovered that his separation anxiety is in full bloom now. He screamed and cried and pulled away from anyone that wanted to hold him, except for his Grandma. Even Grandpa scared the be-jeezus out of him. He'd never done that with any of them before, so this was a first. It's not like he's never met any of them; he just didn't know how to react and he wasn't sure why he was feeling the way he was.

    Normally, he's okay with pretty much anyone. Yesterday, however, he wasn't fine until everyone left the party and it was just us alone with Grandma, Grandpa, Aunt Chris, and the cousins, Justin and Joshua. While Justin and Joshua didn't really spend much time with Jack, Grandma spent the rest of the time we were there with him. She and Jack are buddies. And he never had another fretful episode after that.

    I know it's something all babies go through, so I wasn't really shocked. It's just that it had never happened until now, so I was caught a little off guard. I felt bad for the aunts and uncles that wanted to see him and spend time with him, but there wasn't anything I could do about this new developmental stage he's entered.

    Speaking of developmental stages, Baby Jack is cruising now. He holds on to the couch or the coffee tables and he walks along. He crawls very fast now and pulls himself up to a standing position every chance he gets. He likes to throw blocks across the room and crawl to get them, only to throw them across the room again to do the same, and so on and so on. The standing gets me, though. It's all he wants to do lately. I think we're going to have an early walker, folks. Right now, he's not even eight months old and he's already going through stages with leaps and bounds. I'm not ready to hand over my car keys to him yet, so he's just going to have to wait on the whole driving issue.

    Jack's favorite thing now is to stand with his left foot flat on the floor while tapping his right foot, bent at the knee and all. It's so funny. It makes me want to give him a set of spoons to play, or a bass drum. That boy's got rhythm!

    Right now, he's napping. His Papa is at the post office. Blondie's in the shower and the dogs aren't killing each other. It's peaceful for now. That's all we can hope for.

    Soon, I will post a list of all the things Baby Jack is doing and has conquered. It'll remind me of how fast babies grow and how much they learn in such a short amount of time. *Sigh* It makes me want to stay pregnant forever, over and over. At least, I wouldn't have to worry about getting a period. Hee, hee!

    I hope your day has been a good one! And I'm glad you liked the last post of the dogs with their Halloween costumes on. That was a fun one!

    Off I go to enjoy a little R&R before baby duty calls again. Toodles!

    6 Comments:

    • At 5:04 PM, October 03, 2005, Anonymous your sister who wishes she could see it all said…

      I can't believe he's cruising already! Well, I guess he has places to go and toys to throw.

      Kiss that boy for me if you can get a hold of him for a minute, wouldya?

       
    • At 7:04 PM, October 03, 2005, Blogger mamalife said…

      My girl also very much went through the stranger anxiety phase... my parents were VERY hurt and upset by it, but what can ya do?? He was probably also overwhelmed by SO MANY strangers all at once! Poor guy! Poor relatives who only wanted to love on him!

       
    • At 9:18 PM, October 03, 2005, Blogger Erin said…

      Dirty little secret? I love the seperation anxiety stage. Nothing feel better than to know that *I* am/was the only one who can calm them down.

      Go Baby Jack! Come give my fat baby some lessons on gettin' a move on!

       
    • At 8:06 AM, October 04, 2005, Blogger Lizard Queen said…

      My son's seperation anxiety didn't last long. Then again, I'm so constantly on the go, and he is always around tons of people he didn't have a chance to be anxious. He grew up in an ice rink with his sister playing hockey and I come from a huge family. I remember there was like am month when he had a problem with people. But now, now at age 3 he thinks everyone is his friend, which scares the bejesus out of me!

       
    • At 9:19 AM, October 04, 2005, Blogger sue said…

      If any of them have had kids, they know what he's going through and that it, too, will pass. They should be understanding and know that just because THEY want to cuddle him, he's not at the stage where he wants just anyone to cuddle... enjoy your quiet time.

       
    • At 7:36 PM, October 06, 2005, Blogger educat said…

      Here's how tired I am: I read this post quickly at first and saw "Baby Jack is cursing now" and I thought, "Dear God! This is genius baby!"

      Glad to hear it's only cruising.

       

    Post a Comment

    << Home