Comments from the Peanut Gallery

Taking one day at a time...

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • DO SOMETHING GOOD
  • Thursday, October 13, 2005

    Superstitions And Folklore...

    I saw some funny superstitions about the moon today. I wanted to share these with you:

    *A birth during a full moon is considered lucky.
    *Blowing nine times on a wart while the moon is full will make the wart go away.
    *Hair or nails cut during a waxing moon will grow back quicker.
    *To look at the moon through a window is bad luck.
    *If you see a "red moon," high winds are coming.
    *A single ring around the moon means good weather.
    *The person who eats the first piece of cake baked during a full moon will become the cook's husband.

    I also saw some weather folklore that I found to be very interesting:

    *Wolves always howl more before a storm.
    *Pigs gather leaves and straw before a storm.
    *When dogs in your house start looking paranoid schizophrenic, expect very heavy sleet for five hours.
    *A warm summer means a cold winter; a dry spring means ample summer rainfall; a windy autumn is followed by a mild winter.
    *In the winter, if the barometer falls and the temperature rises, a heavy snow is predicted.
    *Cockroaches are more active before a storm.
    *A warm Christmas equals a cold Easter.

    Does anyone know if any of this stuff is true? Do you know any superstitions that ever make you really wonder? Do share.

    By the way, from now on I'm considering Halloween to be a religious holiday in my household. If you don't know why I'm saying that, check the comments from yesterday's post. Hee, hee! Excuse me while I go take a ride on my broom...

    6 Comments:

    • At 3:44 PM, October 13, 2005, Blogger Dida said…

      The heavy snow one makes scientific sense:

      When the barometric pressure drops, it means a "low" is coming in. In the summer, this usually means rain, so in the winter, snow. Heavy snow tends to fall when we are closer to freezing - when the warmer air cannot hold as much moisture so it drops it.

      At least, I think that's how it works.

       
    • At 3:47 PM, October 13, 2005, Blogger Dida said…

      Halloween is a religious holiday, when the veil between the world of the living and the realm of the dead is so thin that we can break through and talk to our ancestors (ooooohhhhh, scarry).

      The christians just stole it from the pagans, made it a day later and called it All Saints Day where we honor dead saints instead of dead family members.

      Man - I'm full of goofy knowledge today!

       
    • At 4:38 PM, October 13, 2005, Blogger Erin said…

      Grrrl! You get some crazies on here!

      Remember Car? I still read his blog occasionally just to check the comments and get a good laugh.

      Too bad 'Heidi' doesn't have a blog (or at least leave her address) cause I'm sure that would have been a good one to giggle over!

      Quote of the day (And Heidi, god love ya, this one is for you): "Judge not lest ye be jusdged yourself."

      Recognize that? Yep, it's from the BIBLE!!! Idiot.

      Anyway, I love the folklore. That stuff always interests me.

      And, Halloween was, in fact, a Pagan holiday. It was commercialized, but not before it was 'borrowed' by the Christians.

      Borrowed, ha!

      I love ya Amy! You are the greatest! I'll be so sad if one day you decide to quit blogging because of these idiots. I would personally have to hunt them down and egg their homes.

       
    • At 6:19 PM, October 13, 2005, Blogger Mike said…

      Don't let them get to you. They have nothing better to do. Just ignore them and they will go play somewhere else.

       
    • At 10:54 PM, October 13, 2005, Blogger As always... Rachael said…

      Shit - Was heidi here and I missed it?? I thought she was never coming back because her god would hate her!

      When my dog starts going nuts, it means there's another dog outside being walked, and he isn't.

       
    • At 12:11 PM, October 14, 2005, Blogger sue said…

      I enjoyed reading the 'lore... none of my own, I'm afraid.

      I thought that was pretty cute about Halloween... only I don't think YOU'RE the one who should be gettin' on the broom... someone who shall remain nameless but whose name starts with an "H" would be MY first guess...

       

    Post a Comment

    << Home