Comments from the Peanut Gallery

Taking one day at a time...

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • DO SOMETHING GOOD
  • Saturday, April 12, 2008

    Do Something Good...

    Did you know that every 20 minutes another child is diagnosed with autism?

    It was only a year ago that I was thrown into the world of autism. There weren't any books about it that I didn't read. I ate, drank, and slept knowledge about autism and its comorbid disorders. Why? My son Jack did not speak at the age of two and had fallen into a world of his own. A trip to the pediatrician for his two-year check-up is how we found out about Early Intervention. For a year, Jack had developmental therapy, a developmental playgroup, occupational therapy, and speech therapy, each once a week. He made tremendous gains in all areas and presents no delays at all now.

    He was not, however, diagnosed with autism. He has what is called Sensory Processing Disorder and it is very mild. I had that as a kid, too, before it had a fancy name. Many children with autism also have SPD, as well.

    I'm doing this walk for all the parents and children out there who need it and to raise awareness about autism. It could've been me; it could've been my son.

    I am walking in the fight against autism at Walk Now for Autism, joining tens of thousands of other people united by a single cause and dedicated to raising money to find a cure for autism. The money raised at Walk Now for Autism supports Autism Speaks mission to finding the causes, effective treatments and a cure for autism through funding essential biomedical research. One in every 166 children is diagnosed with autism. Autism Speaks directs 75ยข out of every dollar raised to autism research, awareness and outreach.

    My personal fundraising goal is $250. I am well on my way. Please help me reach my goal by making a donation. You can make a donation online using the link below or visit the link to my page or my niece's page. My niece is the one who started the team and we're looking for more people who'd like to join us in our walk. Our team is called AGSO Rocks and my Supporter ID is 211726027. You can also use the donation form located on my page to mail a check; please make checks payable to Cure Autism Now and mail to: Autism Speaks/Walk Now for Autism, 5455 Wilshire Blvd, Ste 2250 Los Angeles, CA 90036.

    Thank you for taking an important step in the fight against autism.

    Sincerely,
    Eatmisery

    3 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home